Saturday, February 15, 2014

Love and Loathe: W#7

This week I loved:


the movie Stuck in Love

A lovely story about a writing father, Bill, who passed his passion for stories on to his two children, Samantha (19) and Rusty (17-ish). Bill and the children's mother, Erica, who left him for a younger man, are divorced and Samantha is blaming Erica , so she hasn't talked to her in over a year. Next to being a college student, Samantha casually wrote a couple of books, one of them being published by a big publishing company. Quite a big life event, but she doesn't want to include her mother because she's still mad.
This movie is about forgiveness, young love, old love, fresh love, rusted love, and learning that there are a few people in your life, that will always be there for you, no matter how much you fight them off.


Reasons to watch this movie: 
- Gossip Girl (aka Kristen Bell)
- Lily Collins
- Logan Lerman
- Lily Collins and Logan Lerman
- directed by Josh Boone who is also directing The Fault in Our Stars (feat.  Nat Wolff, who's also in this movie)
- Greg Kinnear in a similar role than his performance in The Last Song
- the soundtrack (which is absolutely amazing), I mean, listen to this: 



the Tangle Teezer

I have heard a lot of great things about this tiny pink brush, so I decided getting one for solid 14,95€ at Mueller in Vienna and I do not regret it. I have very dry, sleek, un-shiny hair and ever since I have this brush I have dry, sleek, shiny hair and a pink brush. Love it. 

Ellen Page

The woman who made out with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, the guy I will most likely marry in the more or less near or far future, officially came out on Valentine's Day '14 as part of a speech for the Human Rights Campaign which specialized in LGBT civil rights, because she no longer wanted to keep her lesbianism (what a weird word, does this even exist?) a secret because she felt like lying about it by doing so. When one of my country's newspaper's posted this as a headline for one of their Facebook posts, a lot of people started commenting: "Who cares? She can do whatever she wants." and all I could think of was that they are right: nobody should be interested in or even shocked about someones sexual decision, a very private decision made public. But on the other hand I was also happy, because when very famous people, the people teenagers look up to, come out publicly, those teenagers will see the brave person who made a decision that he or she is proud of, and those people are the best role models.
Ellen, I loved you ever since you were a pregnant teenager, knocked up by Michael Cera. I love you even more, now that you came to terms with yourself and your public life. You go girl! 

Asian noodles 

This needs no explanation.

The Neighborhood

I'm pulling off a classing Internet Explorer because I'm quite late at this, but I just recently discovered the song Sweater Weather which led me to buying The Neighborhood's whole album I Love You from iTunes.
Reasons to love this band:
- they are from California (which leads to the conclusion that they define Sweater Weather differently than 90% of the rest of Earth's population)
- Indie Rock!
- slow tunes
- amazing lyrics
- no cheap casting shows involved



This week I loathed:

True Detective

I love Woody Harrelson! His performance in Natural Born Killers still gives me chills, even when I'm only thinking about it, so I was ultra-excited to see him in the HBO mini-series True Detective, not only as an actor, next to Matthew McConaughey, but also as Executive Producer of the show,  next to Matthew McConaughey. The first couple of minutes of the show were quite good, nice Intro, great layout of the first corpse in the show (those antlers, man), but the dialogues are just waaaaay too long and I stopped listening after a couple of minutes. It was quite boring so I stopped halfway through the first episode. Maybe I'll give it another try in the near future.

24 hour days

I think people can relate when I say that 24 hours are way too short to get shit done in just one day. 

Hospitals

My brother recently found out that he had Diabetes (Type 1) so he spent about two weeks in the hospital around NYE (while I was partying in Dublin: bad conscious, ahoi). This toughened him up in terms of being in a hospital, which makes him a lot stronger than me. This week I had to drive him to one of his appointments in the hospital, so while he was the easy going guy, walking into the doctor's office, I was freaking out only by being in the waiting room.
Reasons to hate hospitals (from my own experience):
- unfriendly nurses
- bad food, that gives you food poisoning (I speak of experience, damn you sausage salad!)
- pain
- grieving
- needles (I'm not actually afraid of needles, but I don't really love them. Did I mention that my brother, the diabetic, has to give himself insuline injections e v e r y t i m e  he eats something? You are the strongest person I know, bro)

No comments:

Post a Comment